If you are new to working with children and youth from low-incidence populations, specifically:
- Blindness and Visual Impairment
- Deafness and Hard of Hearing
- Complex Communication Needs
you are invited to attend our Fall Symposium on September 25, 2018.
The sessions are designed for teachers and their educational teams who will be new to supporting a student from a low-incidence population. Participants will be exposed to positive teaching strategies and effective, formative assessment techniques to promote both academic and social success. Additionally, strategies for adapting curricula, materials, resources and the physical environment to address the unique learning needs of these children and youth will be shared.
These half-day sessions, presented by Provincial and Regional RCSD Low Incidence team members, will provide attendees with an array of hands-on activities, practical knowledge and skills development, as well as a highlight of local initiatives and information on accessing local supports.
Locations: Palliser Education Centre, 3305 – 18 Avenue North, Lethbridge
Schedule: Join us for the whole day or attend for a half day, customize your time to focus on the topics that are most meaningful for you!
- Morning session (8:30 am to 11:30 am)
- Option 1: Vision with Erin Peterson and Irene Kovacs
- Option 2: Complex Communication / Emerging Literacy with Shobha George-Jansen and Jocelyn Roberts
- 11:30 to 12:15 Lunch (provided for those staying the whole day)
- Afternoon session (12:15 to 3:15 pm)
- Option 1: Deaf and Hard of Hearing Hearing with Pauline Peddle, Lisa Gokstorp, Sara Burns, and Carmel Walsh
- Option 2: Complex Communication / Emerging Literacy (repeat session) with Shobha and Jocelyn
- Click here to register
- There is no registration fee
- Participants are responsible for their own travel and/or accommodations.
- A light lunch will be provided for those attending both morning and afternoon sessions.
- Teachers and Educational Assistants are encouraged to attend as a team.
- Space is limited, so please register early.